Sunday 12th March 2017 - 10:30am - East Tuddenham - 11.85 miles

Details and discussion about our current walks
Julian
Site Admin

Sunday 12th March 2017 - 10:30am - East Tuddenham - 11.85 miles

Post by Julian » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:22 pm

It's that time again, for the second time in three weeks I'm leading another walk. And, I can promise that this one will be just like the last one! I don't mean that it's the same walk, but that it'll be the same adventure that my walks always are.

Due to circumstances beyond my control (I'm in Poland), certain parts of this walk won't be reccy'ed in their entirety. So bear that in mind before embarking on this expedition. To be honest, this walk could turn into some Lord of the Rings quest (if they have quests in the Lord of the Rings, I've never read the books, but they should have quests as I'm sure there was a quest in the Hobbit). I'm not actually sure what happens in the Lord of the Rings either, but if it's adventure, confusion and pubs, then it's exactly the same.

Right, so we shall all meet up (those who are coming obviously) at 10.30 at the lay-by 1/2 mile east of East Tuddenham on the Norwich (Mattishall) Road (it's the yellow road on the map, not the green one). We shall then set off at 10.35 when someone arrives late (it's OK, it's usually my instructions are vague) ready to enjoy the beautiful countryside of Norfolk. On it we shall see mud, trees, probably some animals and also Mattishall. We all come close to the beating heart of the metropolis that is Dereham (but ignore Richard - it's not the centre of Norfolk by any definition, that's Norwich), but we won't go into Dereham, tempting as it might be.

Bring lunch, same stuff, crisps, cakes, maybe someone could bring a burger this time as no-one has done that in ages. Variety is the spice of walking as they say. Bring warm clothes or else you'll go cold. Everyone is welcome, especially those who quite like living on the edge, as I sometimes feel that's what walks I lead are. But, there was only one injury last time, so it's really all relatively safe. There's no Gregg's in the area (unless you run to Dereham, which is a bit of a trek for a chicken bake, but respect if anyone does) so bring baked goods if you would like. And when I used the phrase 'baked goods' last time, someone thought I meant drugs. For absolute clarity, don't bring drugs (paracetamol and alcohol are fine, just nothing illegal).

The walk pace will be my usual moderate pace, there's no rush to get round as we enjoy the countryside, although no faffing about obviously. I shall put some drinks stops in, and some stops where my shoelaces have come undone (and no, before you comment Lucas, the concept of double knotting a shoelace is beyond my comprehension). There may be more stops if I get lost, although I usually just charge on anyway and hope no-one has noticed. I have a map (well a screen) that means we're never far from civilisation.

It's fine to bring gossip and news to the walk, there's always lots of chat. Which brings me onto new members, we're a very welcoming group (I think) and we do like new people, so if you're not sure, come along! I'm slightly strange, but you can ignore me (indeed, you'll likely have to as I'll be trying to get us back on route) and talk to the more sane members of the group. If something is putting you off coming (other than me), let us know in case we can help.

After the walk I'm hoping some people would like to go to the Honingham Buck (just a two-minute drive away - or something like that, non-car drivers never have a bloody clue how long cars take to get anywhere). There we shall enjoy a drink or two and maybe, if we're lucky, even an argument (or debate, whatever the polite word is) about some important topic of the day.

I can't imagine anyone wants to go on this walk now, but for those that do, then my intrepid friends, you are very welcome and I shall see you next Sunday. Phone me if you can't find the starting point - it probably won't help as I won't have a clue where you are, but engagement and communication is important and someone else can work it out.

That's it. Any questions, don't hesitate to message me. Don't phone me (other than on the day as a last resort), I try to avoid answering the phone in case it's someone selling me some insurance policy that I don't want, but e-mails and text messages are great. If anyone wants a lift, post away here as well.

Julian.

Murdock11

Re: Sunday 12th March 2017 - 10:30am - East Tuddenham - 11.85 miles

Post by Murdock11 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:59 am

Count me in ,as long as I have recovered from Saturday night lol (might need lift lol ) :D :)
Last edited by Murdock11 on Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Julian
Site Admin

Post by Julian » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:43 pm

I'll make sure everyone going to the meal doesn't get led astray by Clive.

Map of the start point!
Screenshot_20170306-214115.png
Screenshot_20170306-214115.png (4.16 MiB) Viewed 1489 times

Steve

Post by Steve » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:41 am

I'll be joining this walk too. :D

Banialuki

Post by Banialuki » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:40 am

I'll be there.

If you wish, I should be able to recc the walk route on Friday if you send me the gpx or link to download it.
Julian wrote: The walk pace will be my usual moderate pace, there's no rush to get round as we enjoy the countryside, although no faffing about obviously. I shall put some drinks stops in, and some stops where my shoelaces have come undone (and no, before you comment Lucas, the concept of double knotting a shoelace is beyond my comprehension).
Julian.
try this then: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXsi9NQHNTg
8-)
BR,

Lucas Banka

rpmay

Post by rpmay » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:49 am

I can't take that video seriously, there's no mud on the boots!

heatherboonhomeo

Post by heatherboonhomeo » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:50 am

Definitely up for a Lord of the Rings adventure. Now Im writing this sounds a bit rude. What I mean is- great will be there . Had a good giggle at the text hopefully more of that on the walk. :? Heather x

Sarah D

Post by Sarah D » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:00 pm

Count me in for the walk tomorrow.
I'm sorry to not have seen the dinner plan until now. You'll have to tell me all about it tomorrow.
Cheers
Sarah

milly

Post by milly » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:12 pm

Hello, just wondering if anyone could possibly give me a lift from Mulbarton as I would like to come on this walk. Thanks, Emily Burkitt

Julian
Site Admin

Post by Julian » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:37 am

Looking forwards to seeing everyone tomorrow! (well today now)

I've taken the liberty of reposting Lucas's walk reccy description as I read it out at the meal and it was thought excellent enough to be circulated to a wider audience :) It sounds an excellent walk that I'm leading!

So, in Lucas's words:

"So I did manage to recc the route today as I figured it will be a fun activity for my hangover after drinks at my friend place yesterday, so I packed my backpack, got on my pushbike, crossed the A47 on the double carriageway-double roundabout, which woke me up reasonably well and managed to find the starting point quite easily as it is a popular fly tipping place. I parked my pushbike next to the fridge (no kiddin), and got off to a reasonably well start taking a wrong turn and having to jump over a ditch ( we can convince Clive into doing it later, I'm sure it's more fun to watch than do).

Route is reasonably easy to navigate, and goes though more interesting places in the area. Mostly cross-field footpaths on the south side but few charming scenes here and there. North side of the walk is what really stands out. It's a very cool and fun riverside walk with loads of traversing though the woods, few fallen trees, and small bridges, mud patches, and path occasionally going on the edge of the bank. No hard obstacles, mud isn't deep and fallen trees are easy to get around."

Murdock11

Post by Murdock11 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:28 pm

Cracking walks as always great company plus meeting new friends too :D

Julian
Site Admin

Post by Julian » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:31 pm

20170312_143835.jpg
20170312_143835.jpg (3.89 MiB) Viewed 1252 times