Sunday 16th April 2017 : 10.00 - Dickleburgh Walk - 12 miles

Details and discussion about our current walks
Julian
Site Admin

Sunday 16th April 2017 : 10.00 - Dickleburgh Walk - 12 miles

Post by Julian » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:37 pm

It's that time again, another Julian led walk. Often talked about, and sometimes for good reasons, but more usually for other reasons.... This walk is on Easter Sunday, so I understand that there might be a limited turnout. If it's looking tragically low, I might postpone it, but we'll see how it goes.

For the TL:DR brigade, turn up at 10:00 by Dickleburgh Moor, just off the A140 (or as I know it the big Roman road to Ipswich), park in the layby thing (see map below) and make yourself obvious. Bring food and drink.
dicklb.JPG
dicklb.JPG (150.61 KiB) Viewed 664 times
For those who have more time, and aren't executives who love TL:DR summaries at the top of a document, let me tell you all more.

Firstly, not all of this walk has been reccy'ed in advance. So, as I always warn, expect the unexpected. But this is Norfolk, so we'll be fine, we won't plummet down some hill which I hadn't noticed on the map. But for anyone who likes details and accuracy, I'm not sure that I can promise that.

Right, back to the sexy bit, which is the walk. We will all meet up, and hopefully it won't be at a local fly-tipping site like last time, and enjoy some good-humoured banter (it's a very over-used word that, I don't like it, I always preferred the word argument). I will then check if anyone is new (not in like an interrogation way obviously, there's not some initiation which takes place) to offer a friendly welcome from Hike Norfolk and Norfolk Area Ramblers. We like new people, so come along. If you're unsure for any reason, let me know in advance, I'll do what I can to help.

Sorry, I got distracted. Back to the walk, after we've met up at the start point I will likely complain that not many people have turned up and they're all eating Easter Eggs. But, other than that, I shall be positive and hopeful about the walk. It's 12 miles, so there's lots of time for gossip about Clive's rubber disaster and Richard's glorious election as a national trustee. I will be telling the behind the scenes story of both of those events, and many more besides.

Anyway, sorry, the walk. We will be going by two churches, Frenze Church and Billingford Church. There might be Easter services on, so we might be in the way if we have a little look around, so we probably won't. If there is space at Billingford, we'll have lunch there. If there's isn't, then I will delegate responsibility of finding a lunch stop to someone else. It's important to share roles (not rolls, bring your own food). Actually, on that point, definitely bring food. Lots of it. Might I humbly suggest some Bourbon biscuits, crisps and M&Ms? But bring anything you like, especially remember to bring lots of water. It might be a hot day, but even if it isn't, it's always best to have too much water than not enough. But, lecture ends there.

I will be adding an historical element to the walk, and this will be a surprise to everyone, likely myself as well as I haven't looked into it yet. But there's always history, it's all around us. And we're walking on the former Roman road for a bit (not the A140, a bit which used to be the Roman road, I'm not a complete idiot*).

Right, as for snakes. I hope there won't be any, but I'm aware one nearly attacked Clive on the last Legstretchers walk. Don't worry, I'm fully trained in dealing with snakes, so I will take control. But, hopefully, we won't see any. Actually, about food again whilst I think about it. We need to discuss what people want for the tenth anniversary bash, and I've only received twelve confirmations that people are going, so we need more people confirming! We need to look popular as a group, otherwise I'll have to carefully edit the photos so that we look like we've got 150 people there. And that's always a hassle.

There's a pub right before the end of the walk, the Dickleburgh Crown. I have no clue whether it'll be open or busy serving Easter Eggs, but we'll find out I guess if anyone wants to go. Pub stops are something that I like to promote, so let's hope it works out this time :)

As for post-codes, remember that these are approximate and it's best to look at the above map to get an understanding of where the hell this walk is. The nearest I can find it IP24 4NT. That should get you pretty much there.

I think, before my mind wandered onto food, I was describing the walk. So, we walk across to Shimpling, then go onto the Boudicca Way for a bit (as in a bit of distance, not a bit of anything else), then we reach Waterloo, Scole, Billingford and some trees. It looks lovely on the map anyway.

Speed wise, this is a leisurely to moderate walk, so it shouldn't be too challenging for anyone (Richard is at church, so that's fine) and not will it be too faffy. There will be numerous drinks stops, as usual, for the purpose of letting me work out where we are.

Um, think that's it as I didn't want to write too much today. Hope to see lots of people, or indeed anyone, there.

Julian.

* - I don't require any comments on this.

Andrew

Re: Sunday 16th April 2017 : 10.00 - Dickleburgh Walk - 12 miles

Post by Andrew » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:53 pm

I'll be free to attend. Looking forward to a Sunday walk.

Clive

Post by Clive » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:34 pm

I should be able to make it. :D

RosemaryMoore

Post by RosemaryMoore » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:32 pm

Hi Julian,

Was thinking I would like to come along, but I've got a cold at the moment, so will have to see if I feel better nearer the time :)

Rosemary

Julian
Site Admin

Post by Julian » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:34 pm

Bring chocolate Rosemary, that'll make you feel better :)

RosemaryMoore

Post by RosemaryMoore » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:00 pm

Thanks for the tip re chocolate :)
I'm better, but unfortunately I'm too busy to fit in a 12 mile walk - I have a job interview on Tuesday which needs a bit of preparation.
I'll come to the 10th anniversary thingy next Sunday though - looking forward to catching up with people then! :D